Call for Women Voice and Leadership Rapid Response Applications
|Rapid Response||18 October 2021||19 November 2021||15 January 2022|
|Minimum amount||Maximum amount||Duration minimum||Duration maximum|
|R70,000||R100,000||Four months||Six months|
Women’s Rights Organisations (WROs) in South Africa piloting innovative approaches and responding to emerging issues on women’s rights and gender equality are invited to apply for the Women Voice and Leadership South Africa Fund (WVL SA) Rapid Response grants. This funding window is open on a rolling basis from 18 October to 19 November 2021 when we will pause to assess before reopening the portal in 2022. Applications may be submitted at any time during that period but no later than 19 November 2021 when the portal will close. The minimum amount available for Rapid Response Grants is R70,000 and the maximum amount is R100,000. These grants are available for a period of four to six months.
The Women Voice and Leadership South Africa Fund (WVL-SA) is funded by the Government of Canada and the grant is managed by Gender Links through the Gender Links Sustainability Hub portfolio. This initiative arises from Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP) addressing six action areas: i) promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls; ii) human dignity; iii) growth that works for everyone; iv) environment and climate action; v) inclusive governance; vi) peace and security.
Rapid response funding targets WROs that seek to implement discreet activities and short projects including delivery mechanisms that would allow nimble and timely response to unforeseen events that require strategic action be taken across all nine provinces of South Africa. The philosophy behind the fast, flexible funding is that WROs often end up responding to human rights abuses, deregulation, cyberbullying, personal harassment or other types of gender discrimination as part of their mandates, but the project funds they access cannot be used for this type of work. Project based funding usually does not allow WROs to be flexible to do this.
Since our first call in 2020, the Women Voice and Leadership Fund has awarded 57 Rapid Response grants: 40 augmented by funds from UKAID in 2020, and 17 in 2021. The latest RR grants have had a strong focus on mitigating the effects of COVID-19 on women’s rights and advocating vaccine roll out.
To be successful grant proposals must demonstrate that the action is at least one of the following:
- A timely response to an unforeseen event.
- A strategic action that promotes women’s rights and gender equality.
- An innovative pilot that addresses a critical systemic challenge.
- A critical intervention that facilitates wider change.
- Identification and work on key emerging women’s rights issues.
- Incubation of an innovative new idea, organisation or movement. Such applications may include organisational infrastructure and capacity building.
- Please first fill out the eligibility form to see if you are eligible for the grant.
- If you are eligible, you will receive a link to register for the Full Application.
- All grants are subject to an online/onsite due diligence before the award is made.
- Please note that all applications are done online.
- All grants for this window will be awarded by 15 January 2022.
- Contracts are valid for a maximum period of four to six months only.
Please read through these questions and responses to familiarise yourself with the process.